When I hear hypocritical ideologues spouting their pathetic logic on the radio in an attempt to justify their paranoia and hatred, it really aggravates me. I was listening to Richard Gonzales' excellent report this evening on NPR, and the following was actually said publicly: (link here)
"Congress has written the immigration laws of this country. It's the responsibility of the executive branch to carry them out, whether they happen to agree with them or not," says Ira Mehlman, a spokesman for the Federation for American Immigration Reform. He says his objection has nothing to do with the sexual orientation of the people whose cases are being dismissed."
Oh REALLY Ira? Where was the "Federation for American Immigration Reform" during the Bush Administration? Silent. Now that several couples who are gay are about to lose their health care, be deported, or not get their spouse a green card, ENFORCEMENT is suddenly an issue??
Congress writes LOTS of laws in this country Ira.
- Laws like the Glass Steagall Act, which the Bush Administration rarely ever enforced since it "didn't like" what the teeth in the law did against their Wall Street donors.
- Laws like The Securities Exchange Act of 1934, which again, the Republicans refuse to support, to fund, to enforce, to audit.
- Laws like The Dodd–Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act which established the Bureau of Consumer Protection which the Republican Congress refuses to fund, support, staff, and which they are trying to dismantle. OH! But wait.... That Barney Frank is one of the gays... isn't he? So it's all ok, right Ira?
- Congressional committees ratified some kind of agency called the EPA Ira. It's something like a Environmental Protection Agency, proposed and organized by the flaming liberal Richard Nixon, remember him Ira? But strangely, the Bush administration refused to level fines, indictments, or enforce EPA regulations, and the current Republican Congress would love to dismantle it. Had you ever heard of that selective enforcement Ira??
- The Bureau of Land Management has that "Mineral Management Service", Ira. Do you recall how back in 2008 the Sex & Drugs and Bribery scandal was uncovered at the BLM by the congressional inspector general (link here, Ira). And who was in office, in 2008? Oh yes, that was George W Bush Ira. No outcry back then? Oh, it was heterosexual sex (mostly) that the MMS federal employees were having with corporate lobbyists in federal offices, as they didn't enforce federal laws, so I guess that's OK Ira?
The examples are LEGION, of where Republican Administrations and Republican legislators, who despise the very concept of government, have refused to enforce laws they don't like or install incompetent nincompoops to lead vital agencies. Democrats on the other hand, pride themselves on competent governing, skillful public service for the greater good, helping all Americans, regardless of their political affiliation or socio-economic status.
Is it OK Ira if Republicans do it, but if a Democratic administration does something your ideological lobbying group doesn't like, then you need to vociferously protest? Sit down and shut up Ira. Reasonable people don't want to hear your bigoted message of fear and hatred.
1 year ago